Certificate of Competency Revalidation
Is your COC about to expire and planning to do a revalidation it soon, but don’t know how to apply for COC revalidation? What are the requirements for the application of COC revalidation? Questions like these and much more I will answer in the following post.
Documents for COC revalidation
- Scanned Signed online application copy.
- A photograph passport size (3.5cm x 3.5cm) with white background and 70% face visible
- Scanned signature
- Scanned copy of all pages of your old COC
- Self Attested Medical certificate from approved DGS doctor.
- Scanned copies of all Modular courses and Ugradation course certificates
Steps for Application for revalidation of COC
- Visit the DGshipping website e-governance.
- Log in with your Indos number
- Click the COC and COC revalidation link
- Then Click for application for Revalidation of Certificate of Competency
- Select the COC to be revalidated from the dropdown
- Properly check and fillup the personal details as needed
- Update the address where you want your sticker to be delivered
- Update the Medical certificate details
- Select yes/no for the question in professional competency tab
- Update details in the Casualty & Enquiry tab
- Agree the filled up application and pay the fees
- Upload the documents as requested
- Once your application is approved your revalidation sticker will be despatched else you will have remarks in the application status from DG shipping regarding some additional information that is required.
Step by Step procedure for application
- Step 1
Visit the DGshipping website and login to your seafarer’s profile in the e-governance tab.
- Step 2
After logging in to your seafarer’s profile click the link in the centre column “COC and COC revalidation”.
- Step 3
Now click on the “Application for Revalidation of Certificate of Competency”.
- Step 4
In the shown dropdown menu select the appropriate COC that you want to revalidate. After selection click on continue.
- Step 5
In the “Personal Details” tab check and verify all the details are proper. You will have to update a few entries for the application. Select the MMD where you wish to apply. If you have sailed in past 5 years then select yes or if you have equivalent shore experience select yes inshore experience dropdown menu. The entries of the drop-down menu to be updated are highlighted in yellow and marked in the picture below. After that fill up the Course details as requested and then click Continue
- Step 6
Enter your address details in the “Address” tab, so that the revalidation sticker will be sent to you at your mentioned address and click continue. Check the photo below
- Step 7
Enter the Medical certificate details as requested in the “Medical Certificate” tab then click continue. Check the picture below
- Step 8
In the “Professional Competency” tab if you have sailing experience and/or shore experience equivalent to sailing experience then select “No“. If you have to appear for exams to revalidate your COC then select Yes. After selecting the appropriate option-click continue.
- Step 9
If you do not have any sailing experience or inshore experience in past 5 years then you will have to select the answer as “YES” in the Professional Competency tab then update the necessary info asked like date of examination was it Oral or Written exam that you appeared for and then click continue.
- Step 10
The next tab is “Casualty & Enquiry” here select the appropriate answers to any casualty or enquiry on your CDC if any. Majority of us will have to answer this as “NO” and then click continue.
- Step 11
If during your tenure you faced any casualty or enquiry on your COC then you will have to select the answer as “YES” in the Casualty & Enquiry Tab and enter further details about the same.
- Step 12
This tab will let u know how much fees will be required to pay for the application of revalidation of your COC. Just click continue once you check the fee amount.
- Step 13
This is the last step for your application. All the required documents are displayed here. Do read all the information mentioned in this then click the checkbox stating I Agree and then click continue.
- Step 14
Once your application process is done as above you will be directed to fees payment. If you are not redirected to fees payment then you can go back to Step 3 and there click on “Pay COC & COP Fees, Upload Documents, View Status“. In this link, you will be able to see your application status and also upload the required documents.
- Step 15
Once you click the “Pay COC & COP Fees, Upload Documents, View Status” you will be directed to your application status where you can pay fees first, then upload documents will be available. Once you upload all documents relevant to the application then MMD/ DGshipping will start procession your revalidation application. In the remarks section, DG shipping or MMD mentions any remarks regarding the application. They may contact you over e-mail or phone regarding the same remarks.
Following the above procedure, you can apply for revalidation of your COC. In this post, I am only covering the application process for COC revalidation. The requirements for COC revalidation have changed considering the new rules as per the META manual. You can read the requirements of COC revalidation or upgradation as mentioned on the DG shipping site circular No. 114 Instructions to Examiners here.