Let’s us understand how to apply for CDC replacement. With the Digital India initiative, I must say Seafarers are going to benefit more. We no longer have to stand in queue for hours and days outside MMD to get our job done.
I joined my first ship in the year 2009 and just prior to that my CDC was issued in late 2008. Over a period of 10 years, my old CDC has seen many rough seas. After a decade of sailing, it’s time for me to extend the validity of my CDC, in order to sail further. Over a period of time, our own DG shipping has moved from offline clunky operation towards a smoother and more stable online operation for simpler tasks. Most of us still are still in a dilemma of how to perform the necessary actions on the online portal of DG shipping website. I have seen the transition of DG shipping from offline to the online world, most of the time the servers used to be down when there was sudden traffic during bookings of exams, new applications for COC, or the application for CDC.
Before applying for any new CDC application one must decide between the following
Do I want to extend the validity of my CDC?
Do I need to replace my old CDC?
Renewal and Replacement the word itself are self-explanatory. If your CDC is damaged/torn/mutilated/pages exhausted then you will need to apply for CDC replacement (As you need a new CDC booklet). Even in case of loss of your old CDC, you will have to apply for CDC replacement.
Note:- If you using any newer windows machine then chances are you cannot access DG profile on your machine. So install Mozila firefox for your desktop/laptop. If you planning to apply from mobile install Mozilla firefox for Android. Firefox for iOS doesn’t work for DG profile updating.Mozilla Firefox for PCFirefox for Android
Follow these steps to Apply for your CDC replacement.
- Login to DG shipping e-governance portal. Use your INDOS number as user id and your password.
- In the Centre, column Click on the CDC Management & COC as cook.
- Select Submit on left top-side for application and Others for checking the application status.
- Select Replacement CDC option thereafter.
- Most of the data will be already entered but check the same for errors. (Errors found if any then check out our Corrections to seafarers account article.
- Select the Shipping Master’s Office and then fill up all relevant boxes marked with * then click continue.
- Fill up the Address details where you will get the CDC delivered and then click continue.
- Fill up the Next of Kin details and then click continue.
- Next tab is about the STCW courses. Fill up the latest STCW course details and click continue.
- Next tab is about Fee details. Here the current fees needed for applying will be shown.
- Next tab will show the documents that are required to be uploaded.
- Pay the Fees.
- Next, upload the necessary documents as mentioned. (Formats must be *.pdf or *.jpg its mentioned there).
- Send your old CDC & your signed application to the Shipping Master’s Office.
- You will receive your CDC at your mentioned address once the application is processed and approved.
- Should I apply for CDC replacement or CDC renewal?
- How many days does it take to receive CDC after application?
- What are the documents required for CDC replacement?
- Where to send the documents?
- Which STCW courses to fill up?
- Can I collect my CDC from MMD?
CDC Replacement Procedure Step by Step:
Head over to DG shipping website then to E-governance and then log in to your DG profile using your INDOS number and password.
In the Centre column all the links you will notice a link CDC Management & COC as cook click on it to go to application page.
On this page, you to the top left you will see 2 options.
Select Submit then click the appropriate option in this case replacement of cdc. Other options application are given as follows.
- CDC application ( For Fresh and new CDC only)
- Renewal CDC (For Extending the validity of existing CDC)
- Duplicate CDC (Issue duplicate CDC in case of loss of CDC)
- Replacement of CDC (Replace Filled/damaged old CDC)
Now on this page, your application process will start. First, on top select appropriate shipping masters office you want to apply to. Note:- you can apply to any Shipping master office irrespective of where your old CDC was applied.
Most of other details will be prefilled in the boxes. Check and verify them. If you notice any correction requirement then read our article Correction to Seafarer’s profile.
Fill any required data in the boxes marked with *. They are mandatory to be filled. Once verified click on continue to proceed to next tab
In this Address, tab update your address where you want the CDC to be delivered. Fill up all the details marked with * as shown in the picture then click continue to next step
Fill up the Next of Kin details in the next tab as asked. All fields marked with * are compulsory. Click continue to next step.
Here in this tab, you will see the STCW courses details. All previous courses data will be already preloaded. Update all the courses data with the latest courses. Use refresher course data for updating. Once updated proceed to the next step by clicking continue.
In this tab the Fee amount required will be mentioned. Above the fee details, further instructions in red are given above. Just go through them once. They describe the steps to be followed after the payment of fees.
This tab will tell you the documents required to upload for your application. Do not forget to click the I Agree checkbox as highlighted in the photo. Then click Generate Application No.
Now pay the fees and then proceed as follows. Normally the pay fees now screen should come once we generate the application number. But in case if you are unable to pay fees at the same moment then you can find payment option in the Others option on the top left which is present in Step 3.
After the payment of the fees, you will be presented with upload documents. Every document must be uploaded in the proper row as mentioned. If you are going to scan documents with Cam Scanner App on mobile I will suggest you a better option Scanbot App from App store. Cam Scanner basic version has leaves a watermark in the scanned document while Scanbot App doesn’t leave any watermark. This app can also help you in combining different scanned pdf together.
After uploading prepare an Envelope with your signed application form & with your old CDC. Send the envelope with courier or post to Shipping Masters Office where you applied it for. Get the address for the Shipping Masters Office by clicking here.
Check your Application Status, link is visible after uploading documents, as shown in the above image after dispatching your Envelope to the shipping masters office.
Once your application is received they will start processing your documents. If any documents are missing or they require additional information then DG shipping will contact you and may ask you a query. You will have to respond to that query as early as possible. They may even contact you over the phone. The Query, if raised, by DG shipping is visible on the remarks section of your Application Status page.
Keep checking the Application status after 4-5 working days, all the updates will be available there. Once approved the Despatch details will be visible with tracking info for Speed post in the remarks section of Application Status.
Answers for FAQ:
- As explained before the words replacement and renewal are self explanatory. In case if your Old CDC is damaged/torn/mutilated or lost then you will have to opt for Replacement of CDC. Even in case if there are no pages left in your old CDC you will have to opt for CDC replacement as you will get a new CDC booklet with same old CDC Number.
- Normally it takes about 15-20 working days to receive your CDC. Once you upload all the documents DG shipping will start its verification procedures on your application. Note working days it is and not days, in simple words normally it should take about 1 month to receive your CDC hoping that all your application was updated correctly along with the required application.
- The documents need to be sent to Shipping Masters office or Government Shipping Office, where you have applied for your replacement CDC application in Step 4. The Documents needed to send to DG shipping are your OLD CDC & signed application form. Try to send your documents as early as possible to as the processing of your application truly begins only after that. (Note verification as per the website starts when documents are uploaded but in replacement of CDC they will start verifying data along side by side and only after receiving orignal documents they will process). You can find the shipping address of the Shipping Masters office here.
Also here is a screenshot of the address but always verify the address from there link mentioned above or by clicking the image below.
- STCW courses needs to be updated while filling up the form. As in Step 7 the old details of the Courses will already be present. It is best to update these old course with the valid refresher training. Just select the proper course from the drop down and fill up all the details. For your assistance all the course certificates will be available if they are new in the Master Checker for your reference.
- Yes there is an option to collect your CDC from MMD or DG shipping office but for that you will have to contact DG shipping over phone or over email and need to get more information about the same issue.
Documents required to be uploaded
Check the screenshot down below all the highlighted yellow region is essential documents.
Hope the complete procedure for applying for Replacement of CDC is clear to you.
Still Have doubts drop comments down below and they will be address as early as possible.
Do you need a video tutorial for the same Let us know will do a video for you all